Monday 2 November 2009

Autumn buying and planting


For the past 10 years I've concentrated on growing herbs and vegetables with just a few ornamentals, so I decided its about time I gave my terrace a little more permanent structure with the addition of some ornamental shrubs and some fruit.


I managed to make quite a bit of compost over the 18 months or so which is great as I don't have a car so buying it in is a bit of a problem. This spurred me on to badger a friend to take me to my local garden centre in his car for my birthday treat.


I bought some small - or should I say young shrubs which will grow into more substantial container plants and some fruit, namely rhubarb and a cranberry plant. But the thing I'm most excited about is my new plum tree. And yes - I will be growing it in a container. It's only small at the moment, and it's already started to be grown as a normal freestanding tree, but I intend to train it into a fan against the huge wall I have at my disposal. But more about that in my next post.

Better get on and pot all these up before the weather completely turns.